Gain the skills and knowledge required to operate your computer and perform common tasks. Learn basic computer skills the smart way with Computer Basics training courses at the University of Sydney.
This basic computer skills course will allow you to gain an understanding of the most popular, current technologies used at home and in the workplace. You will become computer literate in this hands-on course while you learn to access, create, save and manage documents, spreadsheets and emails and use the Internet effectively. We demystify terminology and impart best practice skills for productive and secure use of hardware and software. This course is great for adults with no previous computer experience.
This course will allow you to become familiar with computers and Microsoft Windows while learning basic computer, mouse and keyboard skills in a supportive environment.
By the end of this course you should be able to:
- Appropriately start up and shut down your computer.
- Navigate the operating system and start applications.
- Perform basic functions of file management.
- Perform basic functions in a word processor and spreadsheet.
- Manage print settings and print documents.
- Receive and send email.
- Use a web browser to navigate the Internet.
Hardware and Software
- Understand the main components of a computer, including input and output devices.
- Understand the function of communication devices such as smartphones and tablets.
- Understand the role of Operating Systems, programs and apps.
- Turning on the computer and logging on.
- The Windows screen.
- Running programs from the Start Menu.
- Minimising, maximising, moving, resizing and closing windows.
- Logging off and shutting down your computer.
Working with Programs
- Running multiple programs.
- Desktop icons and creating a desktop shortcut.
- Managing programs from the taskbar.
- Closing programs.
- Managing Windows Explorer.
- Creating, moving, renaming and deleting folders and files.
- Understanding file extensions.
- Viewing storage devices and network connections.
- Managing USB flash drives.
- Creating documents in Microsoft Word.
- Typing text, numbers and dates into a document.
- Easy formatting.
- Checking the spelling in your document.
- Making and saving changes to your document.
- Understanding spreadsheet functionality.
- Creating spreadsheets in Microsoft Excel.
- Typing text numbers and dates into a worksheet.
- Easy formulas.
- Easy formatting.
- Charting your data.
- Making and saving changes to your workbook.
- Printing a worksheet.
- Print preview.
- Print settings.
- Managing the print queue.
- The Outlook mail screen elements.
- Composing and sending an email message.
- Managing the Inbox.
Accessing the Internet
- Going to a specific website and bookmarking.
- Understanding how to search/Google effectively.
- Copy and paste Internet content into your documents and emails.
- Stopping and refreshing pages.
- Demystifying the Cloud.
- Understanding social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Computer security best practices.
This basic computer skills course is designed for adult users who have little or no understanding, knowledge of, or experience in using a computer and would like the opportunity to learn with others in a supportive and encouraging environment.
This basic computer skills course is a computer-based workshop.
Course notes and handouts will be supplied.